[an error occurred while processing this directive]

I-Team: Accusations against Van Buren Co. judge - Pt. 3

Updated: Thursday, September 12, 2013 |
I-Team: Accusations against Van Buren Co. judge - Pt. 3 story image

VAN BUREN COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The Newschannel 3 I-Team broke the story this week that some local attorneys are asking for a judge to be disciplined for alleged misconduct because of quote "extreme bias" in a civil case.

The I-Team reported yesterday allegations in affidavits that said Van Buren County Circuit Judge Paul Hamre joined in on a demeaning conversation, talked at length about a case with attorneys on just one side of it and trashed documents from the attorneys on the other side of the case.

Judge Hamre denied he had what's called "ex parte" communications or a conversation with lawyers from one side.  He didn't address some of the specific allegations though after the I-Team pressed for answers multiple times.

Now we're asking more questions as it turns out the people who brought all these allegations to light regarding Judge Hamre were criminally charged with trespassing recently in Van Buren County.

We found there were questions about these charges raised in court documents we obtained.

On one side, there are folks in Van Buren County who are denying any wrong-doing or retaliation.  There are also people on the other side from Kent County who say they're victims of injustice and some bogus criminal charges.

Please watch the third part of our story above.

Judge Hamre's First Statement to us (addressing criminal charges)
Judge Hamre's Second Statement

comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

What do you want to see?

If you have a story idea for the I-Team, you can contact us using the form below or by calling 269-388-4612.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.

Business News

Last Update on April 27, 2015 07:27 GMT

ECONOMY-THE DAY AHEAD

UNDATED (AP) -- This week could be a make-or-break period for investors as more than 150 companies in the S&P 500 report their quarterly financial results, including such market-moving names as Apple, Ford, Visa, Pfizer and Exxon Mobil.

So far, first quarter earnings have come in softer than what investors had anticipated, which has caused analysts to write down their forecasts. Most companies have blamed the U.S. dollar as a reason why sales and profits are down.

Today, Restaurant Brands International will report earnings before the market opens; Apple reports after the market closes.

NEPAL EARTHQUAKE-GOOGLE EXECUTIVE

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dan Fredinburg, a Google executive who described himself as an adventurer, was among the hundreds who died in a massive earthquake that struck Nepal on Saturday.

Google confirmed his death. Lawrence You, the company's director of privacy, posted online that Fredinburg was in Nepal with three other Google employees hiking Mount Everest. The other three, he added, are safe.

Google would not give further details. The company says it has launched a "person finder" tool for Nepal to help people find loved ones and "is working to get updated satellite imagery to aid in the recovery effort." Google says it is committing $1 million to the quake response.

Fredinburg started at Google since 2007. He served as product manager and the head of privacy at Google X.

COD CUTBACK

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- New England fishermen and seafood dealers say they expect a year of meager supply and high prices for several popular species of fish as new restrictions on cod fishing get underway.

The New England Fishery Management Council voted last year to reduce the total allowable Gulf of Maine cod catch limit from 1,550 to 386 metric tons starting May 1. The stricter quota will also limit fishermen's ability to catch other key commercial groundfish species, including haddock, pollock and hake.

Regulators say the cod quota cut is necessary because the level of cod spawning in the gulf is just a tiny fraction of its target. The gulf is one of two critical areas where East Coast fishermen search for cod, along with Georges Bank off of Massachusetts.

CORINTHIAN CLOSURES

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) -- Corinthian Colleges will shut down all of its remaining 28 ground campuses, displacing about 16,000 students.

The announcement comes less than two weeks after the U.S. Department of Education announced it was fining the for-profit institution $30 million for misrepresentation.

In a statement Sunday, the Santa Ana, California-based company said it was working with other schools to help students continue their education. The closures include Heald College campuses in California, Hawaii and Oregon, as well as Everest and WyoTech schools in California, Arizona and New York.

Corinthian was one of the country's largest for-profit educational institutions. It collapsed last summer amid a cash shortage and fraud allegations.

The Education Department contends that Corinthian failed to comply with requests to address allegations of falsifying job placement data and altering grades and attendance records.

advertisement