[an error occurred while processing this directive]

I-Team: Corruption allegations lingering for months prove unfounded

Updated: Saturday, August 3, 2013 |
I-Team: Corruption allegations lingering for months prove unfounded story image
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The Newschannel 3 I-Team is digging deeper into corruption allegations within the Battle Creek Police Department, that all started with a letter written by two city commissioners on behalf of a Battle Creek Police officer.

The Newschannel 3 I-Team was given dozens of emails that were written by a whistle-blower, who is an active officer.

He sent concerns to police brass and city leaders, and the allegations in it have a city commissioner wondering why no one paid any attention to it.

But the catch is, Newshcannel 3 was told that attention was paid, and now the police chief may take that commissioner to court.

The emails lay out more than three years of allegations, made by a Battle Creek Police Officer that we have been asked not to name.

The officer claims he has received threats and retaliation after he says he reported an act of misconduct by a fellow officer.

He wrote to Police Chief Jackie Hampton in 2010:

"Sir, as you may not be aware of, I have had threats made on my safety in the forms of physical violence."

He goes on to detail the discovery of "a large knife" in his department mailbox, and that he was "told by my supervisors to move on and disregard them."

Chief Hampton responded, saying that he was "very disturbed by the behavior and actions you're being subjected to," and that they "will not be tolerated or allowed."

The chain of emails show that it went to the Department of Internal Affairs Inspector, and the City Manager, where the officer writes "I have had officers completely fail to back me up on two man calls, and yet I still continue to be the 'bad guy' within the administration."

The Police Chief and City Manager tell Newschannel 3 that the allegations have been investigated twice.

The Chief says a Lieutenant and Department of Internal Affairs Inspector both came up with "unfounded" results, because they couldn't determine who put it there.

The Chief added that on November 1st, 2010, three members of the department sat down with the officer and told him those results.

Meanwhile, City Commissioner Jeff Domenico stands by the allegations.

"What people need to understand is that this is only one slice of the pie; there's documentation of nepotism, discrimination, hostile work environment, falsification of legal documentations."

Chief Hampton sent Newschannel 3 a statement that stated he will be "looking at legal options to pursue against Commissioner Domenico for alleging we're corrupt."

He also says, "I deserve an apology from Commissioner Domenico, and he also needs to apologize to the entire department and city."

County Prosecutor David Gilbert told Newschannel 3 he also sat down with Commissioner Domenico and the officer about the allegations just last week.

"One person talks about corruption, but corruption involves breaking the law; in this case, I haven't seen anything with corruption," said Gilbert.

He also looked through those aforementioned emails, and he says to date, nothing he has seen is criminal.

Prosecutor Gilbert did add, however, that if there are criminal allegations, he wants to hear about it, but again, there is no corruption here.

There have been two investigations into the allegations of the officer.

Newschannel 3 has sent a Freedom of Information Act request to get the full report.
comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

What do you want to see?

If you have a story idea for the I-Team, you can contact us using the form below or by calling 269-388-4612.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.

Business News

Last Update on April 27, 2015 07:27 GMT

ECONOMY-THE DAY AHEAD

UNDATED (AP) -- This week could be a make-or-break period for investors as more than 150 companies in the S&P 500 report their quarterly financial results, including such market-moving names as Apple, Ford, Visa, Pfizer and Exxon Mobil.

So far, first quarter earnings have come in softer than what investors had anticipated, which has caused analysts to write down their forecasts. Most companies have blamed the U.S. dollar as a reason why sales and profits are down.

Today, Restaurant Brands International will report earnings before the market opens; Apple reports after the market closes.

NEPAL EARTHQUAKE-GOOGLE EXECUTIVE

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dan Fredinburg, a Google executive who described himself as an adventurer, was among the hundreds who died in a massive earthquake that struck Nepal on Saturday.

Google confirmed his death. Lawrence You, the company's director of privacy, posted online that Fredinburg was in Nepal with three other Google employees hiking Mount Everest. The other three, he added, are safe.

Google would not give further details. The company says it has launched a "person finder" tool for Nepal to help people find loved ones and "is working to get updated satellite imagery to aid in the recovery effort." Google says it is committing $1 million to the quake response.

Fredinburg started at Google since 2007. He served as product manager and the head of privacy at Google X.

COD CUTBACK

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- New England fishermen and seafood dealers say they expect a year of meager supply and high prices for several popular species of fish as new restrictions on cod fishing get underway.

The New England Fishery Management Council voted last year to reduce the total allowable Gulf of Maine cod catch limit from 1,550 to 386 metric tons starting May 1. The stricter quota will also limit fishermen's ability to catch other key commercial groundfish species, including haddock, pollock and hake.

Regulators say the cod quota cut is necessary because the level of cod spawning in the gulf is just a tiny fraction of its target. The gulf is one of two critical areas where East Coast fishermen search for cod, along with Georges Bank off of Massachusetts.

CORINTHIAN CLOSURES

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) -- Corinthian Colleges will shut down all of its remaining 28 ground campuses, displacing about 16,000 students.

The announcement comes less than two weeks after the U.S. Department of Education announced it was fining the for-profit institution $30 million for misrepresentation.

In a statement Sunday, the Santa Ana, California-based company said it was working with other schools to help students continue their education. The closures include Heald College campuses in California, Hawaii and Oregon, as well as Everest and WyoTech schools in California, Arizona and New York.

Corinthian was one of the country's largest for-profit educational institutions. It collapsed last summer amid a cash shortage and fraud allegations.

The Education Department contends that Corinthian failed to comply with requests to address allegations of falsifying job placement data and altering grades and attendance records.

advertisement