[an error occurred while processing this directive]

I-Team: Internal report released on MIP incidents

Updated: Friday, August 30, 2013 |
I-Team: Internal report released on MIP incidents story image
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The Newschannel 3 I-Team has the report detailing an internal investigation at Kalamazoo Public Safety, sparked by our reporting back in June.

The department faced allegations of excessive force, abuse of power, and providing false information to get search warrants after raids at college parties last fall and spring.

Some of the claims came directly from the judge who threw out cases from the fall incident, saying police never should have gotten the search warrant that led to the arrests in the first place.

The I-Team learned that if any of the officers involved are facing discipline, it isn't listed among corrective actions anywhere in the report.

Since that is a personnel issue though, it likely wouldn't be released anyway.

The only allegation that carries no weight, according to the report, is that of excessive force.

Protocol for officer safety dictates firearms be drawn while serving a warrant, and weapons remain pointed at suspects until they fully comply with officer demands.

There is no hard evidence anywhere in the hours of video we've viewed throughout the investigation that anything more than that ever happened.

During the October incident at a home on Axtell, and the February incident at a home on Euclid, officers had to deal with noise violations, and apartments full of drunk, uncooperative, mainly underage students.

The officers got clearly frustrated, as evidenced by video, and the KDPS Department of Professional Standards says it "has determined that there were mistakes made in the preparation of the search warrant," in both instances.

But the report also states that "the City Attorney stated that it was a grammatical tense issue," and a problem with "boiler plate (language) in the search warrant," which made it appear to at least one judge that "officers presented intentionally misleading information."

"If we have to do things better, we're going to do things better," Chief Jeff Hadley told Newschannel 3 last month.

Since then, according to the report, "the boiler plate search warrant template was corrected and reviewed by the City Attorney's office."

Another issue, according to the report is, "none of the arrestees were given Miranda warnings prior to administering preliminary breath tests," saying "in both incidents, the reviewing supervisor failed to catch the Miranda/PBT/consent issues."

Nowhere, however, does it mention discipline or a corrective action plan for that error.

In an effort to prevent similar issues in the future, Chief Hadley met with Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting Thursday afternoon.
comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

What do you want to see?

If you have a story idea for the I-Team, you can contact us using the form below or by calling 269-388-4612.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.

Business News

Last Update on August 03, 2015 07:28 GMT

ECONOMY-THE DAY AHEAD

WASHINGTON (AP) ---- There are two government economic reports due out today. Both of them are from the Commerce Department. One report deals with personal income and spending data for June. The other report looks at June's construction spending.

The Institute for Supply Management will release its manufacturing index for July as well.

Also today, automakers will report on vehicle sales in the month of July.

FIAT CHRYSLER-RECALL

Dodge Chargers recalled; door slam can make air bags inflate

DETROIT (AP) -- Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 322,000 sedans worldwide because side air bags can inflate if doors are slammed too hard.

The recall covers certain Dodge Chargers from the 2011 to 2014 model years, mainly in the U.S. and Canada.

Earlier this month, more than 843,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks were recalled for the same problem. The company says the Charger recall came from an internal investigation launched because of the truck recall.

Fiat Chrysler says the air bag control modules may be too sensitive and need to be recalibrated. The company says it knows of three minor injuries from the problem.

Owners will be notified when they can bring cars in for repairs. In the meantime, the company says people should use caution when closing doors.

FIAT CHRYSLER-HACKING

NEW YORK (AP) -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened an investigation into Harman car radios following a recent recall of 1.4 million Fiat Chrysler cars and trucks due to a hacking vulnerability.

Hackers got into a Jeep Cherokee SUV through an electronic opening in the radio and were able to take control of the car over the Internet. The vulnerability, exposed by two security experts and well-known hackers, was first disclosed in Wired magazine.

In response, Fiat Chrysler said it sealed off a loophole in its internal cellular telephone network with vehicles to prevent similar attacks and issued a voluntary recall.

The NHTSA is investigating which other cars have the affected radios and whether they are vulnerable.

VERIZON-LABOR TALKS

NEW YORK (AP) -- Verizon and unions representing workers in nine states said employees will work without a contract as more negotiations are scheduled.

The wireless carrier and leaders of the Communications Workers of America and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers announced the decision early Sunday, shortly after a contract covering 39,000 workers expired.

The unions say they are prepared to schedule regular bargaining sessions, but that they will leave the sites of their round-the-clock negotiations in Philadelphia and Rye, New York.

Marc Reed, Verizon's chief administrative officer, says the company is "disappointed" it was unable to reach an agreement with the unions despite "six weeks of good faith bargaining and a very strong effort by the company." However, he says Verizon representatives will continue to meet with union leaders.

The unions say the telecom giant is demanding that workers sharply increase their health care contributions and make concession on pensions.

EARNS-HSBC

HONG KONG (AP) -- HSBC Holdings PLC, Europe's biggest bank, says that strong performance in Asia helped to boost first-half profit by 10 percent. The bank also announced the sale of its Brazil business for $5.2 billion.

Profit for the six months ending June 30 rose to $13.6 billion, or 48 cents per share. The bank, which is listed on stock exchanges in Hong Kong and London, says revenue rose 4 percent from a year earlier to $30.8 billion.

CEO Stuart Gulliver cited growth in commercial banking in Hong Kong and Britain and in wealth management in Asia.

HSBC announced it is selling its business in Brazil to Banco Bradesco SA as part of plans announced in June to simplify its sprawling global operations. HSBC said it would keep an operation in Brazil to serve major corporate customers.

HSBC operates in 70 countries and has about 51 million customers.

The June plans call for the London-based bank to cut about 10 percent of its workforce, or some 25,000 jobs, and reduce annual expenses by $4.5-$5 billion.

The bank also has says it plans to sell its operations in Turkey.

AT&T-TV AND WIRELESS

AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers TV-wireless package

NEW YORK (AP) -- AT&T is unveiling a new package that combines traditional TV and wireless services as it seeks to broaden its offerings following its $48.5 billion purchase of satellite TV company DirecTV about a week ago.

The change isn't huge, given that AT&T and DirecTV already had cross-marketing deals as separate companies.

But Monday's announcement is "the first step of what's to come," according to Brad Bentley, AT&T's chief marketing officer for entertainment and Internet services.

Bentley said AT&T is planning several products to integrate mobile phone and TV services but he wouldn't provide details on those plans.

The package announced Monday largely amounts to a $10-a-month discount for getting TV and wireless services at any level on the same bill. Bentley said customers also would have a single number to call for customer service, and employees at AT&T stores would be able to set up customers' phones so that they could start watching TV through apps right away, even before service is installed in the living room.

TEXAS ATTORNEY GENERAL-INVESTIGATION

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A special prosecutor says Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has been indicted on felony charges accusing the Republican of misleading investors before taking office.

Kent Schaffer, a Houston defense attorney appointed by a judge to the case, told The New York Times on Saturday that Collin County grand jurors indicted Paxton on two counts of first-degree securities fraud and a lesser charge of not registering.

The most serious allegations are that he encouraged investment in a tech startup that's now under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The charges stem from activity before Paxton took office in January. Paxton was fined last year for not disclosing to Texas securities regulators he was getting commissions for soliciting investors.

TRUMP-DC HOTEL

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Donald Trump's organization is suing celebrity chef Jose Andres for backing out of a hotel project in Washington.

Andres had planned to open a restaurant at the Trump International Hotel. Trump's organization was selected by the federal government to renovate the historic Old Post Office building on Pennsylvania Avenue and turn it into a luxury hotel.

Andres announced last month that he was canceling plans to open the restaurant, citing what he called Trump's disparaging comments about Mexican immigrants. Andres is an immigrant from Spain.

The lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in Washington says Andres' decision has already cost Trump's organization millions of dollars. It says Andres signed a lease that obligated him to build a restaurant in the space and pay rent for 10 years.

BOX OFFICE

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The stakes may be high for Ethan Hunt and his team in "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation," but it was hardly impossible for the Tom Cruise pic to conquer the box office.

The fifth installment in the nearly 20-year-old film series has earned $56 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

It's the second-highest opening for a "Mission" film since "Mission Impossible II" took in $57 million over Memorial Day weekend in 2000.

The Paramount and Skydance Productions film cost a reported $150 million to produce and should have no problem making up its budget, especially with overseas earnings.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros.' "Vacation" has gone off track. The poorly reviewed, $30 million film earned $14.9 million over the weekend, and $21.2 million since opening Wednesday.

advertisement