[an error occurred while processing this directive]

I-Team looks into violent past of Kalamazoo cab driver accused of rape

Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 |
I-Team looks into violent past of Kalamazoo cab driver accused of rape story image
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The I-Team is looking into a cab driver who is facing multiple charges, after being accused of a brutal attack on one of his fares.

38-year-old Robert Prescott is a felon who was out on parole.

But now, he's in the Kalamazoo County Jail on 15 felony charges, including criminal sexual conduct and carrying a firearm.

Tuesday night, his alleged victim told her story exclusively to the Newschannel 3 I-Team. She feels as though there is a much larger issue in play, and is hoping to help other women avoid what happened to her.

The alleged victim says she received rides from Prescott in his taxi about five times in the last few months.

She says he seemed sweet and lonely, and she never had any indication of his violent past.

She believes Godspeed Taxi never should have allowed Prescott to be a driver, and she wants the City of Kalamazoo to mandate change.

On Sunday, January 12, Prescott picked up the alleged victim near 9th and Stadium in Oshtemo, but she says Prescott wasn't heading to her house.

"He was like, 'well, we're going to hang out at my house.'" she recalled. "I was like, 'no we're not!'"

She says Prescott ended up driving his Godspeed Taxi to a parking lot off Stockbridge, where he forced her into the back of the cab and raped her.

The alleged victim says Prescott dropped her off at her home at around 6:30, and the police were there by 7:00.

"He was texting me and calling me when the police were here," she said of Prescott.

Kalamazoo Public Safety waited outside Godspeed Taxi and arrested Prescott around 11:30.

Michael Bowling, a Southern Baptist minister of over 30 years, started Godpseed Taxi in 2009, and says Prescott started working for the company late last year.

He says one of his clients recommended Prescott and called, asking that Bowling hire him.

Bowling says at that point he didn't know much about Prescott's criminal record.

It goes back 20 years and includes felony assault of a police officer in 2006, and also a guilty plea to assault and battery charges less than three months ago.

Bowling says seeing Prescott's criminal record probably wouldn't have made a difference.

"That's what I do; I look to minister to people to help them get their lives back on track," he said.

"In this country, we're innocent until proven guilty, and until I find out different, I will support him," Bowling added.

That's part of the reason the alleged victim is so upset.

"If they would have done their due diligence on checking into him, this would have never happened to me," she said, adding that she hasn't slept a full night since the attack.

When reached for comment earlier Tuesday, City Commissioner Stephanie Moore offered the following statement:

"As a champion for equal opportunities for everyone, I believe in second chances.  In every situation it is important that you put the right people in the right position according to their skill set, especially when providing direct services. 

Of course I support policy that is written not to exclude but to include everyone and provide equal opportunity for all.

Currently the City of Kalamazoo no longer ask the question on our resumes "have you been convicted."  Individuals can apply for employment and enter the process based on their skill and work history.  Of course background checks and drug test are a part of the hiring process and people are considered on a case by case basis."

Moore says she believes the conversation needs to be continued by the Kalamazoo City Commission to do everything possible to protect consumers.

Prescott faces 15 felony charges, and is next due in court on February 18.
comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

What do you want to see?

If you have a story idea for the I-Team, you can contact us using the form below or by calling 269-388-4612.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.

Business News

Last Update on October 01, 2014 17:47 GMT

CONSTRUCTION SPENDING

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. construction spending fell in August, the second decline in the past three months, with housing, non-residential and government projects all showing weakness.

The Commerce Department says construction spending dropped a seasonally adjusted 0.8 percent after a 1.2 percent increase in July. The July increase followed a 1.6 percent June decline.

The weakness was apparent in all sectors. Housing construction declined 0.1 percent, reflecting a big drop in spending on remodeling. Non-residential construction fell 1.4 percent while spending on government projects dropped 0.9 percent.

In addition to the August decline, the government revised lower its estimates for activity in the previous two months. This could call into question expectations that building activity will support economic growth in the second half of the year.

ADP

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. businesses continued hiring at a solid pace in September, according to a private survey. The result marks the the sixth straight month of solid gains.

Payroll processer ADP says private employers added 213,000 jobs last month, up slightly from 202,000 in August. Job gains above 200,000 are usually enough to lower the unemployment rate.

The figures suggest the government's jobs report on Friday could show a rebound in hiring. The government said employers added only 142,000 jobs in August. But the ADP numbers cover only private businesses and sometimes diverge from the government's more comprehensive report. ADP's August figure was much higher than the government's.

Economists surveyed by FactSet forecast that the government's report will show 215,000 jobs were added in September, while the unemployment rate remained 6.1 percent.

ECONOMY-MANUFACTURING

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The pace of U.S. manufacturing growth slowed in September, as expectations for hiring and new orders slipped from their August levels.

The Institute for Supply Management, a trade group of purchasing managers, says its manufacturing index fell to 56.6 from 59 in August. Anything above 50 signals that manufacturing is growing.

The index's measure of new orders fell to 60 from a reading of 66.7, while the employment component fell to 54.6 from 58.1. The one upside is that customer inventories continue to remain low, suggesting that there will be continued demand from factories.

Manufacturers have reported growth for the past 16 months, as the sector has helped drive the recovery from the Great Recession.

AUTO SALES

DETROIT (AP) -- Demand for pickup trucks and SUVs helped keep U.S. auto sales strong in September following a blistering August.

General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group led the industry with 19 percent sales increases over last September.

While August's sales were fueled by incentives on midsize cars, September saw good deals on trucks.

GM says sales of its Chevrolet Silverado pickup jumped 54 percent and the GMC Sierra pickup rose 25 percent.

Chrysler had best September since 2005, with sales of Ram pickups rising 30 percent and Jeep brands up 47 percent.

But Ford's U.S. sales dipped 3 percent as the company cut back on truck discounts in anticipation of a new F-150 later this year.

Toyota sales were up 2 percent, with its RAV4 SUV seeing double-digit gains. Honda sales increased 12 percent on the strength of the CR-V SUV and the Honda Fit subcompact.

Nissan sales rose 18.5 percent, with its newly revamped Rogue crossover up 52 percent.

Volkswagen fell 18.6 percent overall, but sales of its new Golf were up 93 percent.

GM-ROAD AHEAD

MILFORD, Mich. (AP) -- General Motors CEO Mary Barra told investors Wednesday that GM will rely on new models and a big push to sell more cars in China to boost profits in coming years, as the company tries to shift the spotlight from a mishandled recall of older small cars.

Barra needed to reassure investors that GM has a strong plan going forward. The stock has dropped about 18 percent this year. It rose 2.6 percent in afternoon trading.

GM recalled 2.6 million small cars worldwide earlier this year to fix faulty ignition switches that are now blamed for at least 23 deaths nationwide. Barra said suppliers have made enough parts to fix all of the switches, but only 1.1 million small cars have had the repairs so far.

GM has admitted knowing about the problem for a decade, yet it didn't recall the cars until this February. The switches can cause the engine to stall, deactivating the cars' air bags.

Barra said GM is staying with an estimate of $400 million to $600 million to compensate ignition switch crash victims. The company has hired compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg to pay victims. He made his first payments last week.

CANADA-FORD AUTO JOBS

OAKVILLE, Ontario (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. of Canada says it is adding 1,000 jobs at its plant in Oakville, Ontario, by the end of this year to build the 2015 Ford Edge crossover SUV for the global market.

The automaker said Wednesday it also expects to increase spending on Canadian-made auto parts by $200 million a year.

The 1,000 new jobs and 300 added last year will bring total employment at the plant to more than 4,000 by the end of 2014. Ford also operates an engine plant in Windsor, Ontario and employs a total of about 6,000 in Canada.

A recent Scotiabank report on the global auto industry says that increased vehicle sales in the U.S. as well as a depreciation of the Canadian dollar had benefited the Canadian auto parts sector.

GENERAL MILLS-JOB CUTS

NEW YORK (AP) -- General Mills plans to cut 700 to 800 jobs, the second time it's trimmed its work force in a month, as the food company wrestles with a shift by U.S. consumers away from boxed or frozen meals.

The Minneapolis company expects about $135 million to $160 million in restructuring charges. It foresees annual cost savings of approximately $125 million to $150 million, starting in fiscal 2016.

General Mills Inc. anticipates the current restructuring to be completed by fiscal 2015's end.

The company has said it's begun a formal review of its North American manufacturing and distribution network, along with a pair of announcements in recent months about cost-cutting initiatives.

AMAZON-KANSAS

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) -- Amazon.com plans to close a distribution center in southeast Kansas in February, but it isn't clear how many employees the move will affect.

Coffeyville Chamber of Commerce executive director Stacia Meek said Wednesday that Amazon informed her of the closure in an email Tuesday evening.

The Seattle-based online retailer did not immediately return email and phone messages seeking comment.

Meek says Amazon told her the closure is part of a move to have its distribution centers closer to the bulk of its customers.

Coffeyville is a rural town about 70 miles north of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Amazon is one of the area's largest employers, though its workforce fluctuates widely.

The Parsons Sun first reported the closure plans and noted the company recently celebrated its 15th year anniversary in Coffeyville.

COCA-COLA-PAY PLAN

NEW YORK (AP) -- Coca-Cola is revising its pay plan for executives after shareholders including Warren Buffett expressed disapproval and called it excessive.

The world's largest beverage maker says its long-term incentive program will now distribute the company's shares to a smaller group of executives, while the rest will be rewarded with cash instead. That will mean the total shares authorized to be awarded under the plan will last longer.

The Atlanta-based company also said it would increase transparency about its equity awards and formalize its practice of share repurchases to keep stockholders' stakes from being diluted.

Coca-Cola's pay plan had come under scrutiny after Wintergreen Advisers took issue with it earlier this year, calling it a "raw deal" for shareholders. Buffett also said he discussed his concerns with Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent.

UNITED STATES-BRAZIL TRADE

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The United States and Brazil have resolved a decade-long trade battle over subsidies Washington provided to U.S. cotton growers.

The agreement resolves a bitter trade fight that had strained relations between the two countries since 2002, when Brazil brought a case against the United States charging that U.S. cotton subsidies were a violation of global trade rules. The World Trade Organization ruled in Brazil's favor and the United States had been forced to make annual $147 million payments to Brazil.

U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and their Brazilian counterparts signed the agreement Wednesday in Washington. Under the agreement, the United States will make a final one-time payment of $300 million and Brazil will drop the cotton case.

ZOHYDRO-NEW VERSION

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The maker of the much-debated painkiller Zohydro is seeking approval of a harder-to-abuse version of its drug which, if approved, could replace the currently marketed version of the pill by next spring.

San Diego-based Zogenix said Wednesday it submitted a Food and Drug Administration application for the new Zohydro formulation that is designed to be more difficult to snort or inject -- two common methods for abusing painkillers. Zogenix expects approval in the first quarter of 2015, which would allow the drugmaker to replace the older version of Zohydro in the second quarter.

Zohydro has been criticized by health advocates, politicians and law enforcement officials since it became the first single-ingredient hydrocodone drug ever approved for U.S. patients last fall.

advertisement