Utah woman severely burned after drinking ice tea laced with cleaner

Updated: Friday, August 15, 2014

UTAH (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A Utah woman remains in critical condition with severe burns after sipping ice tea that was laced with a chemical used to clean cooking equipment.

"First words to her husband were I think I just drank acid," said Attorney Paxton Guymon.

According to an attorney for the victim, the tea was laced with a highly toxic cleaning solution that contained the odorless chemical lye.

A worker mistook the cleaner for sugar.

This happened at a fast food place on Sunday.

67-year-old Jan Harding is now in a Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit, unable to talk and fighting for her life.

She's shown no signs of improvement since the incident.

U.S. | World News

advertisement
Washington Times
advertisement