Latest on explosions at Boston Marathon
Updated: Tuesday, April 16 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
BOSTON (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The hunt is on as the White House says they are treating this as a terrorist attack.
Here's what we know:
Two bombs went off as dozens of runners were crossing the finish line. One explosion injured bystanders and knocked some runners off their feet.
Seconds later another blast just down the block.
At least one device was recovered and detonated.
Three people died in the attack, including 8-year old Martin Richard. He was waiting for his father to cross the finish line when the bombs went off.
More than 140 others have been injured, at least 17 are in critical condition.
"This cowardly act will not be taken in stride. We will turn every rock over to find the people who are responsible for this," said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
Meantime, Tuesday morning federal agents are searching an apartment in the Boston suburb of Revere in connection to the bombing.
Authorities are not releasing any other details at this time.
Susan McGinnis and WWMT's Kate Tillotson were in Boston with the latest in the video report above. Jessica Wheeler also reports on local reaction to the explosions.
Guide to the bombing at the Boston Marathon
BOSTON (AP) - An explosion at the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday killed three people and injured dozens more. An at-a-glance look at the facts in the case:
Two bombs exploded about 10 seconds and 100 yards apart at about 2:50 p.m. Monday in Boston's Copley Square, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, and more than 140 were injured. The explosions occurred four hours into the race and two hours after the winners had crossed the finish line, but thousands of runners were still on the course.
The FBI took charge of the investigation into the bombings, serving a warrant late Monday on an apartment in the suburban Boston town of Revere and appealing for any video, audio and still images taken by marathon spectators. No arrests had been made, and authorities weren't commenting about suspects.
President Barack Obama vowed that those responsible will "feel the full weight of justice." The president was careful not to use the words "terrorism" or "terrorist attack" in his remarks, but a White House official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still unfolding, said the attack was being treated as an act of terrorism.
The area around Copley Square remained closed Tuesday morning, as did exit ramps from major highways to the area. The Federal Aviation Administration barred low-flying aircraft within 3.5 miles of the site. Other cities also beefed up security in response to the bombing and the Secret Service expanded its security perimeter around the White House.
The FBI, U.S. Attorney's office and other law enforcement officials planned to brief the media at 9:30 a.m. Obama will be briefed Tuesday on the investigation and the ongoing response efforts from FBI Director Robert Mueller, homeland security assistant Lisa Monaco and other senior members of his team.