Suspect in murders arraigned on home invasion charges
Updated: Friday, April 5 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
WYOMING, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The man suspected of killing a Kentwood couple is now back in West Michigan.
Javonte Higgins went before a judge Friday morning on an outstanding warrant from a crime that happened a month before the murders he's suspected in took place.
Higgins refused to open his eyes or speak to the judge Friday. He swayed from side to side through the entire court appearance.
The judge told him he had been warned by deputies at the jail to expect the bizarre display.
"Are you Mister Higgins? No? OK. I was put on notice that you wouldn't be cooperative at the jail and sort of playing possum, so we will go ahead and arraign you anyway. And just enter a not guilty plea for you," said the judge.
Higgins was arraigned via video at the Wyoming courthouse for a home invasion, car theft and police chase that happened in December.
He kept his eyes closed or looked down the entire time and refused to even acknowledge the judge.
Higgins was changed with four counts and ordered to be held with out bond.
He just arrived back in Kent County Thursday after being held in a Chicago area jail for the past couple months.
Court officials tell us a governor's warrant is what brought him back to the area since he was fighting his extradition.
Higgins is the prime suspect in the murders of 81-year-old David Bouwman and his 80-year-old wife Vivian.
The couple was found shot to death inside their home January 5th just a month after the home invasion that Higgins was charged with.
He was on the run from police when they say the murders happened.
Kentwood police plan to meet with prosecutors Friday afternoon to go over the murder case and potential charges for Higgins.
We will keep you updated on what they decide.