WWMT Newschannel 3 - Search Results
Byron Center 3rd grader dies of bacterial meningitis
BYRON CENTER, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - An 8 year old West Michigan boy passed away last week, a victim of bacterial meningitis.
A letter from St. John Vianney School Principal Gregg Bruno was sent home to parents on Friday that informed them of the death of 3rd grader Ethan Giang.
According to the letter, the school received news from the Kent County Health Department that the bacterial infection that killed Ethan is believed to be meningitis.
The Kent County Health Department told St. John Vianney that they do not believe there is a public health risk to any of the students, as "bacterial meningitis is not as contagious as the common cold or flu, and is rarely transmitted through casual contact."
The letter pointed out that the school is taking no risks, though, and that they instituted "a thorough cleaning of all classrooms and communal spaces."
It is expected to be completed before children return to school on Tuesday.
Parents were advised that if their children experienced any of the following symptoms they should contact their physician immediately:
- Fever over 101 degrees
- Stiff Neck
- Non-specific rash
There will be visitation from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Sunday, and a prayer vigil at 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. on Sunday as well.
The funeral will be held Monday at 11:00 a.m.