WWMT Newschannel 3 - Search Results
Fire rekindles in Pavilion Township
PAVILION TOWNSHIP, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – Several hours after the flames were extinguished, firefighters returned to the scene of a house fire when it rekindled.
The fire broke out again around 1:00 am Sunday in the 9600 block of 29th Street.
Firefighters tell Newschannel 3 that Sunday morning’s fire was in the garage and the flames were much bigger this time.
On Saturday thick black smoke poured from the side of the house, but that fire was put out quickly, limiting the damage to just a few rooms.
Firefighters say Sunday’s fire started near the electrical box, while Saturday’s started in the chimney of a wood burning stove.
“A lot of people have them these days, and especially this time of year,” said Capt. Rick Reeves, Pavilion Township Fire Department. “When it’s not as cold as it was, they turn down the dampers and get a lot of creosote build-up in there. Once that creosote gets burning, it burns really hot. That’s what happened in this one.”
There were no injuries in either fire. Firefighters say you should never leave a fire unattended and have your chimney cleaned often.