WWMT Newschannel 3 :: Search Results
Fifth-Third Ballpark fire ruled accidental
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The fire at Fifth-Third Ballpark last week has been ruled accidental by Plainfield Fire Department investigators.
The fire ripped through the ballpark on Friday morning, January 3, and was discovered at around 10:45 a.m.
Fire investigators ruled the blaze, which they say began in Suite 306 at the ballpark, accidental on Wednesday.
The investigation cited a trash container left too close to a space heater on the floor as the source of the fire.
They also add that the sprinkler system failed to operate as intended after the fire ignited.
The fire investigator who compiled the report for Plainfield stated that reconstruction efforts and evidence available is corroborated by interviews conducted with eyewitnesses.
West Michigan Whitecaps managing partner Denny Baxter says that the stadium will be ready for opening day even if repairs aren't entirely finished by then.
He also added that Fifth-Third Ballpark would also still host the league's all-star game this season as planned.