The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids issues a WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY for Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Jackson, Allegan, Barry, Eaton, Ottawa, Kent, Ionia, Muskegon, Montcalm, Oceana, and Newaygo counties from 1 AM until 4 PM Thursday afternoon.  Snow, sleet, and freezing rain develop shortly after midnight and prior to your Thursday morning commute.  Accumulations of ice are under 1/10" before an ultimate transition to snow everywhere, but we know it doesn't take a lot of ice to cause problems.  Accumulations ... Muskegon to Grand Rapids to Lansing: 1" to 2" ... southwest of that line including Kalamazoo: under 1".

Stay with for your weather today and always!

Breaking Weather Map #1
Breaking Weather Map #2
Breaking Weather Map #3
Breaking Weather Map #4

WWMT - - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Battle Creek public school district investigates child left on bus

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - An investigation is underway at Battle Creek Public Schools after a preschooler was left on a bus.

A transportation department worker found the little boy on Tuesday, alone in the bus lot.

Now the district is taking a closer look at its protocol and working to make sure it never happens again.

"It was just very disheartening to hear about the situation," said Battle Creek Public School Superintendent Linda Hicks.

She adds that the district is working to figure out how the little boy--at just 3 or 4 years of age--was left behind on a bus after school.

"Bus drivers are supposed to always walk to the back of the bus, and there's actually a sign-in, which they're supposed to turn over that indicates that no students are on the bus," Hicks explained.

At this point, whether the driver followed protocol is still under investigation.

But Hicks says when the boy didn't make it home, his mom called police.

In the meantime, a transportation department worker had already found him.

"Apparently the blinkers were on the bus, and that's how the child was discovered," Hicks said.

There are still many unanswered questions, such as how long the boy was on the bus, but Hicks says she was notified of the situation around 5:30 that night.

"Immediately we went into the mode of trying to figure out what happened," she said.

Hicks says safety and the well-being of students is the district's number one priority, and now, she and others are trying to get to the bottom of the case.

"As a district, we're deeply concerned about what happened, and we are going to do whatever we can to be sure that this does not happen again," Hicks said.

For now, the bus driver is suspended, pending the outcome of the investigation.

The district is looking at whether or not its system needs to change.

One idea already being discussed is a new piece of technology for the buses--an alarm system at the back of the bus that a driver must press before they can get off the bus.